King Charles II bolsters his troops in Tangier
Vellum manuscript DS, signed “Charles R,” one page, 14.25 x 10.25, April 9, 1663. King Charles II appoints Andrew Earle, "Commander in Chief of all our Forces in Africa," to be "Collonell of ye English Regim't of Foot at present employed for Our service in Our Garrison of Tanger." In very good condition, with soiling, staining, a missing weal, and Charles' signature several shades light. King Charles II acquired the Moroccan city of Tangier as part of the dowry when he married the Portuguese infanta Catherine, and occupied the critical north African port with English troops.