Manuscript vellum DS, signed “B. Franklin,” one page, 15.25 x 13.25, June 19, 1787. Franklin, as President of the Supreme Executive Council of Pennsylvania, grants William Goodwin “a certain tract of land called ‘Fancy’ situate in Mount Bethel.” Signed in the left border by Franklin underneath the large white seal and countersigned at the bottom by James Trimble for John Armstrong. The seal remains partially intact. In very good condition, with intersecting folds, scattered soiling, and apparent dampstaining to the center.
The Executive Council comprised the executive branch of the Pennsylvania state government between 1777 and 1790. It was headed by a president and vice president (similar to a governor and lieutenant governor), with Franklin, its sixth president, being the most well-known. His presidency was one of his last acts of public service, as he died less than two years after leaving office. This land grant dates to an exceptionally important time in Pennsylvania, with the Constitutional Convention having assembled in Philadelphia only weeks earlier on May 25, 1787. Franklin played an integral role in the discussions and negotiations over the future of the American government at Independence Hall, and the meeting came to a conclusion—the Constitution drafted and signed—on September 17. An outstanding association with one of the most significant periods in American history. Pre-certified PSA/DNA.
Terms and abbreviations used in our descriptions.