Sought-after official 1948 London Olympics torch, comprised of aluminum alloy, measuring 16″ in length and 5″ at its widest point, designed by Ralph Lavers. The upper part is designed in the shape of a cauldron with three 'cut-outs' of the Olympic rings, encircled below by the inscription, "Olympia to London, with thanks to the bearer: XIVth Olympiad 1948." The Olympic flame was lit in Olympia, Greece, on July 17, 1948, and traveled a total of 3,365 km before reaching the opening ceremony at Wembley Stadium on July 29. The 1948 Olympics in London represented the first Summer Games since 1936 after a twelve-year hiatus due to World War II. The total number of torches manufactured was 1,688. A classically designed torch from the second ever Olympic torch relay. From The Mason Dinehart Collection.
Terms and abbreviations used in our descriptions.