Impressive 25-pound thrust RCS (Re-entry Control System) rocket motor for the Gemini SC6 spacecraft. The motor approximately measures 10 x 3.25 x 4.75, and features its original rubber Rocketdyne protective nozzle cover, “RK 395-38001, Install 1/6 Unit, Desiccant,” with clear plastic hexagonal desiccant container on protective cover; parts label affixed to nozzle cover reads: “1/6 units, Mil. 3464, Date 3/19/69, Insp. Stamp (ANR 1012).” The central stainless steel chamber has been covered in a protective silicone wrap annotated on the underside, “22.” Upper hardware branches off into two piping sections for “OXID” and “FUEL,” both of which are affixed with impressed metal tags: “RD251/4073/.0336 (ANR 1022) OX10” and “RD251/4073/.0440 (ANR 1022) FUEL.” Turn lock parts bear matching stamped part numbers, “72-252531-4,” and underside of hardware annotated in black felt tip, “Gemini RCS motor.” In fine condition. RCS thrusters helped control the Gemini spacecraft's attitude (roll, pitch, and yaw). These fixed thrust motors were cold nitrogen gas pressurized and self-contained propulsion systems that used storable, hypergolic propellants, which enabled them to be self-igniting. On February 24, 1962, the McDonnell Aircraft Corporation, the primary contractor for the Gemini spacecraft, awarded a subcontract to North American Aviation Company's Rocketdyne Division for the spacecraft’s two liquid propulsion systems, one of which was the RCS (the other being the orbit and attitude maneuvering system). The RCS performed in all manned Gemini flights, from Gemini III in March 1965 to Gemini XII in November 1966. In compliance with ITAR regulations, this item is limited to purchase by US Citizens.
Terms and abbreviations used in our descriptions.