Official 2004 Athens Summer Olympics torch, constructed of aluminum and olive wood, measuring 25.75″ in length and 2.25″ at its widest point, designed by Andreas Varotsos and manufactured by GA & L Harrington. The torch was modeled to reflect the simple and congruous lines of an olive tree leaf, with the union of wood and metal evoking the different colors found on either side of the leaf, and the ergonomic design representing the extension of the moving flame. The front of the aluminum sheath bears the Olympic rings and Athens emblem, with Greek engraving below presented to Lena Zachopoulou. Some light scuffing to metal. Includes its original tube. The Olympic flame was lit in Olympia, Greece, on March 25, 2004, and proceeded on a five continent journey that witnessed the torch pass by all the cities that had hosted the Games since 1896, as well as marking the flame's debut in Africa, India and South America. In total, the torch covered over 84,000 km during its 141-day journey.
Terms and abbreviations used in our descriptions.