Manuscript vellum DS, signed “B. Franklin,” one page, 15.5 x 13.5, March 15, 1788. Franklin, as President of the Supreme Executive Council of Pennsylvania, grants “William Chambers a certain tract of land called ‘Chambersburg’ Situate in Middleton Township Cumberland County…containing Two hundred and thirty one acres and one hundred and fifty five perches.” Signed in the left border by Franklin under the large embossed eight-point seal. Intersecting folds, light show-through from a red wax seal on reverse, and expected light wrinkling, otherwise fine condition. The seal is toned and missing three of its points, yet still impressive. The Executive Council comprised the executive branch of the Pennsylvania state government between 1777 and 1790. It was headed by a president and vice president (similar to a governor and lieutenant governor), with Franklin, its sixth president, being the most well-known. His presidency was one of his last acts of public service, as he died less than two years after leaving office. At the time of this land grant, the Constitution had just been ratified, and the first US presidential election was only four months away. Pre-certified John Reznikoff/PSA/DNA and RR Auction COA.
Terms and abbreviations used in our descriptions.